Stand-Up Robot Wheelchair

When is a wheelchair not a chair? When it's both. When you see this thing you'll wonder - why didn't I think of that!

Paraplegic's are doomed to sitting which can lead to a whole seperate set of problems. They suffer from pressure sores, diabetes, heart disease and even risk cancer due to poor circulation sitting and laying all the time.

A Turkish engineering team from Tek Robotic Mobilization Devices reinvented and reimagined the wheelchair - Turk Yusuf Akturkoglu hurt in a horse riding accident is lucky user #1.

Yusuf says '...by using this device, I can get up whenever I want...this device helps me to get mobilized. I can go to the kitchen and do whatever I want. I feel free.'

Old style wheelchairs required the occupant to get off a toilet or bed by lifting their body with their arms and throw themselves in a single tricky motion into the seat. Imagine taking this risk several times a day, and occasionally landing on the floor with no one around to help?

The Tek is summoned by remote control. Owners strap themselves in before hoisting themselves into a standing position. The Tek also has a small seat so the user can still sit when grabbing stuff off a shelf if they choose. Of course the Tek is robotic and filled with software to help navigate.

Gone are the days of wide bathroom stalls, blocked doorways, and looking-up at the world.